George Clooney is firing back at Hunter Biden, calling the president’s son’s explosive rant about him “outright lies.”
In a new interview on CBS’ Sunday Mornings, the Oscar-winning actor addressed Hunter’s profanity-laced comments attacking him for his 2024 New York Times op-ed — the piece that urged Former President Joe Biden to step aside in the presidential race.
Earlier this year, Hunter Biden publicly slammed Clooney, accusing him of undermining his father’s campaign and claiming former President Obama encouraged the actor to write the editorial. Now, Clooney says none of it is true.
“I could spend a lot of time debunking many of the things he said because many of the things he said were just outright lies,” Clooney said. “Obama didn’t put me up to it. It wasn’t his fundraiser — it was my fundraiser. But honestly, I don’t think looking backwards like that is helpful to anyone, particularly to him.”
The actor, 64, added that he has no desire to escalate the public feud. “I don’t think it’s helpful for the Democratic Party,” Clooney continued. “So I’m just going to wish him well on his ongoing recovery and leave it at that.”
Clooney Critiques Kamala Harris’ Nomination
In the same interview, Clooney also weighed in on the Democratic Party’s choice to move forward with Vice President Kamala Harris as the nominee following Biden’s withdrawal — a decision he says was a “mistake.”
“I think the mistake with it being Kamala is she had to run against her own record,” he explained. “It’s very hard to do if the point of running is to say, ‘I’m not that person.’ She was given a very tough task. I think it was a mistake, quite honestly. But, we are where we are.”
A Year After His Controversial Op-Ed
Clooney’s New York Times op-ed, titled “I Love Joe Biden, but We Need a New Nominee,” made headlines in 2024 for openly questioning Biden’s ability to serve another term. The actor described seeing a concerning difference in the president’s demeanor during a fundraiser just weeks before his debate performance.
“It’s devastating to say it, but the Joe Biden I was with three weeks ago at the fundraiser was not the Joe ‘big f—ing deal’ Biden of 2010,” Clooney wrote. “He wasn’t even the Joe Biden of 2020. He was the same man we all witnessed at the debate.”
Following the op-ed, Clooney said he received both backlash and praise — but has no regrets. “You have to take your stand if you believe in it,” he told CNN earlier this year. “Take a stand, deal with the consequences. That’s the rule. I’m okay with criticism for where I stand. I defend their right to criticize me as much as I defend my right to criticize them.”
As for Hunter Biden’s reaction — which included calling Clooney “not a real actor” and labeling him “a brand” — Clooney appears ready to move on. “I have personal opinions,” he admitted, “but it’s just not helpful to have a public spat with him.”